Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bra Alteration

After years of knowing that my bras do not fit properly, I went in for a fitting.  Not only was I not wearing the proper size, but it turned out to be an irregular size and one that no department store would carry.  You can guess that the price for such a bra would not be cheap.  So I had one properly fitting, must be handwashed bra.

After looking at all the cute, cheaply priced bras one day, I attempted to once again find one that fit.  I did not, but I did decide that it was time for me to address the problem and come up with a solution.

Here is what I did.  I am very small through the rib area and larger in the chest.  So I need a large cup but a small band size.  I tried on several bras and found a cup that fit well.  Then I went home and lay my expensive bra on top of my new bra.  I matched up the centre point as best as I could and I marked the location of the clasp sections.  Then I cut along those marks, resulting in both clasp portions being removed.

Cut off any bits of extra fabric attached to the clasp section.  Next, take a seam ripper and open up the back portion of the clasp section.  Slide this opening over the cut edge that you made.  You may have to tuck in the fabric as it may be wider that the portion you removed.  Sew the clasp portion in place.  Do this on both sides, making sure that you are attaching the clasps in the proper direction.  The circled areas below show where I opened up the seams and inserted the fabric.  Hopefully you will have matching thread at your disposal as I somehow ran out of black thread before I started this today!




Sometimes I have to move the shoulder straps too.  Just use your seam ripper to open up the back seam and remove the bottom portion of the shoulder strap.  Mark the proper position and stitch it into place.

This is not difficult to do, and I am so excited to finally be able to wear well fitting bras without having to fork over hundreds of dollars.

Linked to:  Blue Cricket Design Someday Crafts Sew Much Ado Gingersnap Crafts

2 comments:

  1. How were you able to come up with this idea, Krista? This might be of great help to anyone who has the same problem as yours… It's good to know that you feel more comfortable wearing bras that fit you better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    Since the cup was pretty much non adjustable, the part to adjust had to be the band. Once I got started it all worked out quite easily. I love being able to go into a dep. store in the regular section and buy a pretty, cheaper bra. Thanks for taking the time to comment ;)

    ReplyDelete