The paint was beige and chipped, there were signatures and drawings all over the top. The side pieces were bare plywood. It could only get better!
I gave the whole table a good sanding with my hand sander. There were quite a few knots and nicks in the top so I did what I could to sand them down. Then I used spackle compound to fill in the holes and skim over the knots. I lightly sanded these when dry, then repeated this step. The last prep step I did was to give it a coat of primer.
The fun part was finally getting closer. I purchased a small can of black exterior paint and gave the table one complete coat of black paint. When that was dry, I added another coat of black paint to everything but the table top. For that I wanted to do something fun. I found a recipe on the internet for chalkboard paint. I used 1 cup of paint to 2 T of non-sanded tile grout. I found taking the back of a spoon to the tile ground and grinding it as fine as possible before adding the paint worked best. I applied two coats of this mixture to my table top, letting it dry well in between coats.
I think it turned out fabulous, and all the knots and nicks on the top are no longer noticeable!
I had some paint left over, so I painted some stones (AKA Pottery Barn Hack) to sit on the table. A little pot of chalk, a sponge and my kids are now merrily drawing pictures and playing tic tac toe on their huge new chalkboard!
Today's post is linked up to: The Idea Room Whipperberry Shabby Nest Ladybird Ln Candace Creations Tater Tots and Jello Annemaries Breiblog Carolyns Homework Domestically-speaking Mommas Kind a Crafty Joyful Stamper Chic on a Shoestring Decorating